Re: rename sgml files?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rename sgml files?
Date: 2018-02-12 21:19:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> So, should we rename the *.sgml files to *.xml, since they are actually
> now XML files?

At that point, back-patching documentation fixes would become effectively
impossible except through manual intervention in the patching process.
I don't want to go there. The recent changes have already imposed a
significant PITA factor on generating minor-release notes, and this
would push it past what I care to deal with.

As I've remarked before, the issue would disappear if we were to
back-patch the XML-ization of the documentation. So I'd be fine
with this if we did it uniformly in the supported branches. Otherwise
I think the costs outweigh the benefits.