Re: Postgres connection status as BIND

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nimesh Satam <nimesh(dot)zedo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres connection status as BIND
Date: 2009-06-15 14:17:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Nimesh Satam <nimesh(dot)zedo(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> When we do a ps U postgres command, we find some connection in BIND status:

> 10088 ? Ss 0:00 postgres: chk production xxx.xx.x.xx(48672) BIND
> 10090 ? Ss 0:00 postgres: chk production xxx.xx.x.xx(48674) BIND

> Can anybody tell what exactly the above connection status means,

It's trying to do the Bind Parameters step of the prepared-query
protocol. AFAICS, a hang here means either a problem in parameter
value conversion (have you got any custom datatypes with input functions
that maybe aren't debugged very well?) or something odd happening while
trying to plan or re-plan the query. Have you identified just which
queries hang up this way? (pg_stat_activity might help here.)

One fairly likely theory is that these are blocked trying to acquire
locks on tables their queries will reference. Have you looked into
pg_locks for evidence of someone sitting on exclusive locks?