Re: More DROP COLUMN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More DROP COLUMN
Date: 2002-07-15 12:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
> or to make it even more self documenting store the drop time,
> " col001 dropped(at)020715(dot)101427"

I'm not at all excited about trying to store times, random numbers,
etc in dropped column names. We are not trying to do cryptography
here, only invent an improbable name. I do not believe that injecting
pseudo-randomness will help. I'd prefer to keep the names of dropped
columns predictable.

> I guess that \0 would be unusable (not sure if its illegal)

You can NOT use \0, and I don't think other nonprinting characters would
be a good idea either. I think a bunch of leading spaces or underscores
would be fine.