Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends
Date: 2008-12-16 00:32:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Ron Mayer wrote:
>> The one use-case I can think of that imports a pile of C++ code
>> is the GEOS library that PostGIS uses (used?):

> There are also quite a number of OSS algorithms, useful for query
> optimization or otherwise, which are written in C++. For example, the
> fully OSS implementation of annealing (potentially useful as a
> replacement for GEQO) is in C++.

Well, if we were actually contemplating using it, we'd rewrite it in C.
I don't see anyone around here who's in favor of increasing the minimum
build requirement to C++. (Even if we were, there's exactly 0 chance
that an existing hunk of C++ code would follow our error handling and
memory allocation conventions, so we'd have to do significant rewriting
anyway.)

The PostGIS-style case, where someone writes some code to provide a
mostly arm's-length interface to an external library written in C++,
is the only case I can see much use for. And that still leaves me
wondering what's the point of making our headers C++ clean, because
that external library isn't gonna include 'em anyway.