Re: AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?
Date: 2000-11-07 19:41:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM> writes:
> BTW, what about indices?

CREATE/DROP INDEX grab exclusive lock on the parent table, so there's no
problem with indexes as long as transactions that use the parent table
hold some kind of lock on that table. I figure it's OK for the executor
to continue to grab and release locks on indexes on a per-scan basis.
It's just the parent table that we need a continuous lock on.