Re: Strange behaviour: create database hangs (v 8.4.4)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dale Gallagher <dale(dot)gallagher(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour: create database hangs (v 8.4.4)
Date: 2010-05-31 16:59:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dale Gallagher <dale(dot)gallagher(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 31 May 2010 13:10, Dale Gallagher <dale(dot)gallagher(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I am now using strace on postgres startup and watching the filesystem
>> during the creation of the database. So far, it seems that files in
>> PGHOME/base/1234/ are appearing, but VERY slowly. Thus far it's taken
>> 7 minutes and 92 files have been created. The command has not
>> completed within psql....
>>
>> Could this be a filesystem corruption issue? The host is using ext4.

> The command finally completed. It took a VERY long time. Something is
> wrong, but I have no clue what.

Seems like you must have a kernel/filesystem issue, but I don't know
what either. CREATE DATABASE just copies the contents of template1
using some absolutely straightforward code (look into src/port/copydir.c)
so it's entirely filesystem-limited.

You could try tracing the backend that's doing the command with
"strace -r -p <pid>" to try to get an idea of which system calls
are eating all the time.