Re: postgresql.conf listen_addresses causing connection problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David Bernal" <david(dot)bernal(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf listen_addresses causing connection problems
Date: 2006-03-29 14:37:23
Lists: pgsql-general

"David Bernal" <david(dot)bernal(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I recently have been attempting to get my install of postgresql 8.1
> (running Win XP as OS) to listen on both 127.0.0.1 and my IP address,
> 192.168.0.100 (inside my network, obviously.) As such, I tried first
> setting listen_addresses = '192.168.0.100, localhost'

By "8.1" do you really mean "8.1.0"? If so, you might try updating to
the latest subrelease (currently 8.1.3). This problem doesn't offhand
seem to match any of the bug fixes I see in the CVS logs, but there have
been a number of Windows-specific fixes and maybe one of them explains
it.

> With it like that, when I try to connect to the server using localhost
> (I've tried this on a couple different clients) I get an error. If,
> for example, I run psql -U user -d base, I get
> "psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request."

This should certainly leave some trace in the postmaster log file.
If you don't know where the log output is going, find out ;-)