Re: Another modest proposal for docs formatting: catalog descriptions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another modest proposal for docs formatting: catalog descriptions
Date: 2020-05-10 16:27:23
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Just FTR, here's a complete patch for this. I successfully regenerated
the column names, types, and ordering from the system catalogs, and
plugged the descriptions back into that by dint of parsing them out of
the XML. The "references" data was based on findoidjoins' results plus
hand additions to cover all the cases we are calling out now (there are
a lot of "references" links for attnums and a few other non-OID columns,
plus references links for views which findoidjoins doesn't consider).
So I have pretty high confidence that this info is OK. I'd be too
embarrassed to show anybody the code though ;-) ... it was just a brute
force hack.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
catalog-reformat.patch.gz application/x-gzip 78.4 KB
website.patch text/x-diff 1.3 KB