Re: Running out of disk space during query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running out of disk space during query
Date: 2006-03-08 15:52:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I suppose I could put quotas in place or something but I don't really
> have a problem with the database as a whole using up a bunch of disk
> space (hence why it's got alot of room to grow into), I just would have
> liked a "this will chew up more disk space than you have and then fail"
> message instead of what ended up happening for this query.

I've got the same problem with this that I do with the recently-proposed
patch to fail queries with estimated cost > X --- to wit, I think it
will result in a net *reduction* in system reliability not an improvement.
Any such feature changes the planner estimates from mere heuristics into
a gating factor that will make queries fail entirely. And they are
really not good enough to put that kind of trust into.