Re: Using contrib modules in check (Re: pgsql: Fix BRIN to use SnapshotAny during summarization)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using contrib modules in check (Re: pgsql: Fix BRIN to use SnapshotAny during summarization)
Date: 2015-08-10 15:19:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
> Thanks, the build worked now.

> Wouldn't a possible fix be to promote this/some module to core? It
> doesn't have any SQL- or OS-side dependencies.

Meh. I think we'd agreed in another nearby thread that pageinspect
is exactly the sort of thing we don't want in core. Even if it were
in core, I'm dubious that it's a good way to implement the desired
testing here: the risks of platform-dependent results (endianness,
varying numbers of tuples per page, etc etc) seem far too high.