Re: SUBSCRIPTIONS and pg_upgrade

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2017-02-17 14:13:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/16/17 21:04, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure about the reasoning behind requiring a flag to
> include subscriptions in pg_dump output,

One reason is that pg_subscription is only readable by a superuser, so
we can't even dump them unless we're superuser.

Also, restoring a subscription will immediately attempt to start
replication, which might be kind of surprising.

We had pondered this issue extensively during early review. I don't
think we're all happy with the current behavior, but it's probably the
safest and easiest one for now.

Better ideas are welcome.