Re: NT FAQ needs updating

From: Pete Forman <gsez020(at)kryten(dot)bedford(dot)waii(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NT FAQ needs updating
Date: 2000-09-25 14:23:45
Lists: pgsql-ports

Peter Eisentraut writes:
> Pete Forman writes:
> > Configure seems to have taken care of things. Cygwin B20 and 1.1
> > have bison 1.25 and configure determines that it will be called
> > with -L. Redhat 6.2 has bison 1.28 which no longer accepts -L
> > but configure copes with this. AIX, IRIX and Solaris all just
> > have yacc and this is correctly detected as not taking -L.
>
> The problem is that configure doesn't *really* take care of
> things. :-( If you look into src/template/cygwin32 you'll see
> YFLAGS = -L... Unfortunately, there were some reports that this
> doesn't work for some people, particularly because the path
> /sw/cygwin-b20/share/ wasn't accurate.
>
> Bison as shipped from GNU doesn't have an -L option at all, never
> had, so that the Cygwin folks have apparently added it. If you
> don't mind me being a pain, maybe you could go into the directory
> src/backend/parser and do
>
> bison -y -d gram.y
>
> without an -L option. If it needs one, then I'd love to know a way
> to determine the path automatically.

These fail:

B20, plain:

bison -y -d gram.y

B20, what configure came up with:

bison -y -d -L /sw/cygwin-b20/share/ gram.y

These pass:

B20, using my installation path:

bison -y -d -L /Program\ Files/cygnus/cygwin-b20/share/ gram.y

1.1.4, no -L needed:

bison -y -d gram.y

As far as I can tell Cygwin 1.1 has changed its root filesystem. In
B20 "/" maps to "C:\". It seems that 1.1 maps "/" to "D:\cygwin\" in
my case, i.e. relative to where it is installed. Using the strings
program to look in the bison executables for "share", the default
location of bison.simple, etc., shows that B20 has
"/cygnus/cygwin-b20/share/" canned in while 1.1 has "/usr/share/".
That means that 1.1 does not need an -L.

On B20:

$ mount
Device Directory Type Flags
C: / native text!=binary

On 1.1:

$ mount
Device Directory Type Flags
D:\cygwin\bin /usr/bin user binmode
D:\cygwin\lib /usr/lib user binmode
D:\cygwin / user binmode

In both cases I installed Cygwin following the default options, apart
from location to install to. They may both be tweakable to set mount
maps.
--
Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
Western Geophysical -./\.- by myself and does not represent