Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues

From: vnicolici <vladnc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues
Date: 2016-10-25 18:22:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello. I just started using pgAdmin 4, and first of all let me say it looks
very promising. Works much better on high DPI displays.

And I especially like that it is no longer affected so much by high latency
network connections. The old pgAdmin really struggled when the database was
on a different continent than the client computer. It seems pgAdmin III was
doing a lot of round trips over the network for some operations.

That being said, I think there is still room for improvement for the user
interface. In particular, I don't think replacing the native operating
system file open dialog was the greatest idea. This introduces a lot of
limitations, and even the stuff that works has some issues.

My greatest problem with the file dialog is that you can't paste a
file/folder path in it. Or copy the current path for that matter. Or type
the file path manually in any way.

Aside from the inconvenience of having to navigate manually, that means
that, on Windows, you can't open a file directly from a network share that
is not mapped to a drive letter. Or save it directly to a network share. Or
navigate to a network share folder, because you can't type a file path like
\\host\share\folder\folder\file.sql

Also you can't open a file directly from the web, because you can't enter
something like http://host/path/file.sql in the dialog box.

And finally, when navigating through the folders/drives using the current
version (1.0), double clicking on the folder/drive icons doesn't seem to
work. You have to double click on the folder name/drive name. Also the
dialog opens quite slowly.

So, in my opinion, if technically feasible, the decision to replace the
native OS file open dialog with a platform independent dialog should be
reversed. I think the problems it introduces outweigh any benefits.