Re: ERROR: AllocSetFree: cannot find block containing chunk 507928

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Edwin New <edwin_new(at)toll(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: AllocSetFree: cannot find block containing chunk 507928
Date: 2004-07-23 02:31:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Edwin New <edwin_new(at)toll(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> When I connect to this database with psql, and type \z to see a list of
> tables, I get the error
> ERROR: AllocSetFree: cannot find block containing chunk 507928

I'm guessing you have some sort of data-corruption problem in the system
catalogs, probably in pg_class. Do you get a similar error if you say
"SELECT * FROM pg_class"? If so, try to narrow down exactly which value
causes the problem --- for instance, try selecting one column at a time
to see which column the trouble is in.

> I am running 7.2.1 on Solaris 8.

Of course you know you should be running something newer ;-). But a
quick look through the CVS logs does not reveal anything that looks
related in later 7.2.* fixes, so an in-place update probably won't
solve your immediate problem.