Re: Tablespaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2004-02-26 22:05:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>> Speaking of locking, can we do anything to prevent people from shooting
>> themselves in the foot by changing active tablespaces? Are we even
>> going to have a DROP TABLESPACE command, and if so what would it do?

> Ahh. I forgot to detail my ideas on this. It seems to me that we cannot
> drop a table space until the directory is empty.

How would it get to be empty? Are you thinking of some sort of "connect
database to tablespace" and "disconnect database from tablespace"
commands that would respectively create and delete the per-database
subdirectory? That seems moderately reasonable to me. We could then
invent a locking protocol that requires backends to lock a tablespace
before they can execute either of these operations (or delete the
tablespace of course).