Re: Multi-byte character case-folding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-byte character case-folding
Date: 2020-07-06 20:33:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
> At the moment, only single-byte characters in identifiers are
> case-folded, and multi-byte characters are not.
> So my question is, do we yet have the infrastructure to make
> case-folding consistent across all character widths?

We still lack any built-in knowledge about this, and would have to rely
on libc, which means the results would likely be platform-dependent
and probably LC_CTYPE-dependent.

More generally, I'd be mighty hesitant to change this behavior after
it's stood for so many years. I suspect more people would complain
that we broke their application than would be happy about it.

Having said that, we are already relying on towlower() in places,
and could do similarly here if we didn't care about the above issues.