Re: Configuration of statistical views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuration of statistical views
Date: 2001-06-29 18:17:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>> backend start/stop events probably need to be reported whenever the
>> postmaster variable is set, even if all the USERSET variables are off.

> I don't consider backend start/stop messages to be critical,
> although we get some complaints already about connection
> slowness - well, this is somewhere in the microseconds. And
> it'd be a little messy because the start message is sent by
> the backend while the stop message is sent by the postmaster.
> So where exactly to put it?

This is exactly why I think they should be sent unconditionally.
It doesn't matter if a particular backend turns its reporting on and
off while it runs (I hope), but I'd think the stats collector would
get confused if it saw, say, a start and no stop message for a
particular backend.

OTOH, given that we need to treat the transmission channel as
unreliable, it would be a bad idea anyway if the stats collector got
seriously confused by not seeing the start or the stop message.