Re: t_self as system column

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: t_self as system column
Date: 2010-07-06 21:32:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> Why wouldn't it be feasible?

> Just because it might be too much to do all at once.

My thought is that the hardest part of this is going to be making sure
that every "column index" usage in the code is properly categorized as
to whether it's physical, logical, or identifier index. If we try to
divide the problem into sub-patches, that will probably just increase
the amount of effort because all that code will have to be looked at
twice.

Think of it as Polya's paradox in action.