Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage
Date: 2022-08-06 22:42:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Did I understand correctly that the places that do kill(-pid) followed
> by kill(pid) really only need the kill(-pid)?

Uh ... did you read the comment right above signal_child?

* There is a race condition for recently-forked children: they might not
* have executed setsid() yet. So we signal the child directly as well as
* the group. We assume such a child will handle the signal before trying
* to spawn any grandchild processes. We also assume that signaling the
* child twice will not cause any problems.

It might be that this is wrong and signaling -pid will work even if
the child hasn't yet done setsid(), but I doubt it: the kill(2) man
page is pretty clear that it'll fail if "the process group doesn't
exist".

Perhaps we could finesse that by signaling -pid first, and then
signaling pid if that fails, but offhand it seems like that has
the described race condition w.r.t. grandchild processes.