performance and number of selected columns

From: Dirk Lutzebaeck <lutzeb(at)aeccom(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: performance and number of selected columns
Date: 2000-05-22 15:25:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

say I have three tables a,b,c with lots of columns (say 10 for each
table). Using psql command line, why does

SELECT a.*,b.*,c.* FROM a,b,c

takes much more longer (in my specifc case 3 times) than only
selecting one column like

SELECT a.oid, b.oid, c.oid FROM a,b,c.

This is on 7.0. Can I play with buffer sizes? Indexes exist on most
of the columns. Columns in the second line can be arbitrary.

Dirk