Re: Correct way to do deletes?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Correct way to do deletes?
Date: 2001-10-29 21:56:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org> writes:
> In one we SearchSysCache(), simple_heap_delete(), and then
> ReleaseSysCache(). In the other we SearchSysCacheCopy(),
> simple_heap_delete, and heap_freetuple().

> Are they two parallel ways, or is one better?

I don't think it matters much anymore. The copy approach takes a few
more cycles, though, to no good purpose since you have no need to modify
the tuple struct obtained from cache. (When updating a tuple, copying
the cache entry and scribbling directly on the copy is sometimes more
convenient than calling heap_modifytuple to build a new tuple.)