Re: 7.3beta and ecpg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3beta and ecpg
Date: 2002-09-11 20:36:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 03:42:44PM +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:
>> I think it should be the intention to keep those identical, which would
>> mean, that the backend syntax is currently wrong :-(

> Which of course means we should change it. :-)

IIRC, the conclusion of our earlier debate about backend PREPARE/EXECUTE
syntax was that since it was not implementing exactly the behavior
specified for embedded SQL (and couldn't, not being an embedded
operation) it would be better to deliberately avoid using exactly the
same syntax. See thread starting at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-07/msg00814.php

We can revisit that decision if you like, but you must convince us that
it was wrong, not just say "of course we should change it".