Re: [BUGS] BUG #1707: statistics collector starts with stats_start_collector

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>, Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)initd(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #1707: statistics collector starts with stats_start_collector
Date: 2005-06-28 13:46:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

> My issue is that we usually don't have GUC variables that can be set
> automatically. Why can't we have the stats collector try to start, and
> just throw a server log message if it fails.

I still say the code is not broken and does not require fixing. If
someone doesn't want any stats collection service, they shouldn't have
to pay the overhead of having the collector there. That was the
original design intention for pgstats, and there isn't anyone except
you suggesting that we should force people to have the stats collector
enabled.