Re: Read data from Postgres table pages

From: Sushrut Shivaswamy <sushrut(dot)shivaswamy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Read data from Postgres table pages
Date: 2024-03-19 14:48:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If we query the DB directly, is it possible to know which new rows have been added since the last query?
Is there a change pump that can be latched onto?

I’m assuming the page data structs are encapsulated in specific headers which can be used to list / read pages.
Why would Postgres need to be stopped to read the data? The read / query path in Postgres would also be reading these pages when the instance is running?