Re: DecodeInterval fixes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DecodeInterval fixes
Date: 2023-07-07 23:13:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com> writes:
> Hi Joe, here's a partial review:
> On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 5:44 PM Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> 1) Removes dead code for handling unit type RESERVE.

> Looks good. From a quick skim it looks like the ECPG copy of this code
> (ecpg/pgtypeslib/interval.c) might need to be updated as well?

The ECPG datetime datatype support code has been basically unmaintained
for years, and has diverged quite far at this point from the core code.
I wouldn't expect that a patch to the core code necessarily applies
easily to ECPG, nor would I expect somebody patching the core to bother
trying.

Perhaps modernizing/resyncing that ECPG code would be a worthwhile
undertaking, but it'd be a mighty large one, and I'm not sure about
the size of the return. In the meantime, benign neglect is the policy.