Re: Connection reset by peer / broken pipe

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant)" <jeff(at)referee-assistant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection reset by peer / broken pipe
Date: 2008-04-01 21:12:17
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant)" <jeff(at)referee-assistant(dot)com> writes:
> I am running Postgres 8.2.3 and am seeing the following error messages in my
> logs:

> LOG: SSL SYSCALL error: Connection reset by peer
> LOG: could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
> LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
> LOG: could not send data to client: Broken pipe

Do your client applications tend to leave an open connection sitting
idle for awhile? If so you might be getting burnt by idle-connection
timeouts in intervening routers. NAT-capable boxes in particular
will kill a connection that carries no data for "too long". If you're
lucky the router will offer a way to adjust its timeout ...