Re: Date/Time Types : internals

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, cousinflo(at)free(dot)fr, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Date/Time Types : internals
Date: 2012-04-26 21:15:19
Lists: pgsql-docs

I wrote:
>> So which calendar are we using, Julian or Gregorian?

> Gregorian. I fail to see anyplace that suggests we use the Julian
> calendar. We do understand the Julian date system, which is something
> entirely different with a confusingly similar name. (Julian dates are
> just a count of days since a reference point in 4713 BC.)

On further reflection I wonder whether we shouldn't just get rid of
"8.5.6. Internals", which is at best rather inappropriately placed.
A person reading this portion of the docs probably couldn't care less
whether we use Julian-date calculations internally. It might be
appropriate to mention that in appendix B.4, where there's an actual
explanation of what Julian dates are; but not here.

What I think we should have here is an externally-facing specification,
that is state that we follow the Gregorian calendar rules even for years
before Pope Gregory's edict, and then reference B.4 for more info.