Re: CLOG contention

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CLOG contention
Date: 2012-01-05 20:00:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On the other hand, I think there's a decent argument that he should
>> change his opinion, because 192kB of memory is not a lot. However,
>> what I mostly want is something that nobody hates, so we can get it
>> committed and move on.

> If that was a reasonable objection it would have applied when we added
> serializable support, or any other SLRU for that matter.
> If memory reduction is a concern to anybody, then a separate patch to
> address *all* issues is required. Blocking this patch makes no sense.

No, your argument is the one that makes no sense. The fact that things
could be made better for low-mem situations is not an argument for
instead making them worse. Which is what going to a fixed value of 32
would do, in return for no benefit that I can see compared to using a
formula of some sort. The details of the formula barely matter, though
I would like to see one that bottoms out at less than 8 buffers so that
there is some advantage gained for low-memory cases.