Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table?
Date: 2005-09-08 00:10:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> In any case, "java" has not been put forward as one of the template
>> entries, and as long as we don't accept a template for it, we have
>> not made the situation any worse.

> Hmm, Thomas Hallgren sent in a template using "java" as name and you
> answered "OK", so we're already there if it's already committed.

Oh, I hadn't noticed. That seems like rather a bad idea --- shouldn't
it be "pljava"? ("javaU" isn't going to work either, because of
case_translate_language_name.)

>> Yes, I am assuming that, and I challenge you to supply examples of
>> PLs that won't require at least a recompile before there's any hope
>> of their working on 8.1.

> There is no hope of that, but a mere recompilation does not change the
> validator or the schema or any other property that may be under
> consideration. The current code will force a *version* upgrade of all
> PLs with every PostgreSQL upgrade. I need to download new code and
> deal with it. That is currently not required.

Really? See the oidvector changes. I think that will force at least
minor source changes on every PL. Now there may be people out there who
will prefer making a few small changes by hand to downloading a new
version ... but they can probably manage throwing in a stub validator
function too.