Re: Prepare/Declare

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prepare/Declare
Date: 2007-05-27 16:05:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 04:07:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd be interested to see where you draw that conclusion, since
>> (a) PREPARE statements of that form are not in the standard, and
>> (b) DECLARE CURSOR is clearly defined as taking a <query expression>.

> Sorry, should have been more precise. I was talking about embedded SQL
> standard. Just look for "dynamic cursors".

Oh, I see what you're looking at. But my point here is that this
version of PREPARE has zip to do with ours: it seems more akin to
plpgsql's EXECUTE, since AFAICT you are supposed to give it a string
value that then gets parsed as a SQL statement. Also it lacks any
way to define parameters for the statement.

> I could also keep my old simultaing code for this special case, which is
> probably the best way to do it.

Yeah, I think keeping this version of PREPARE on the ecpg side is
probably best.