Re: how to add my source file?

From: dakotali kasap <dakotalidavid(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to add my source file?
Date: 2006-12-27 17:41:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry I did not want to bother you with the details, I just thought that there is smth that I have to do apart from adding the object file name into the Makefile.

So, here is the whole picture:

I want to write a function that takes the raw parsetree and rewrites it according to my rules, then produce new raw parsetrees.

I will call this function inside backend/tcop/postgres.c . I wrote an header file called my_rewriter.h and include this inside postgres.c.

my_writer.h looks like:
#ifndef UWSDREWRITE_H
#define UWSDREWRITE_H

#include "nodes/pg_list.h"
#include "nodes/nodes.h"

typedef struct my_Projection
{
char *relname;
List attnames;
char *result_relname;

} my_Projection;

.
.
.

extern void my_analyze(Node *parsetree);
extern void my_rewrite(List *parsetree_list);

#endif UWSDREWRITE_H

my_writer.c looks like:
#include "nodes/nodes.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include "nodes/pg_list.h"

static void my_string_print(char *s);
static void my_int_print(int i);

static void my_string_print(char *s)
{
FILE *outfile = fopen("/home/?/the_log.txt", "a");
fprintf(outfile,"\n%s\n", s);
fflush(stdout);
fclose(outfile);
}

static void my_int_print(int i)
{
FILE *outfile = fopen("/home/?/the_log.txt", "a");
fprintf(outfile,"\n the int is: %d\n", i);
fflush(stdout);
fclose(outfile);
}

void UWSD_rewrite(List *parsetree_list)
{
ListCell *parsetree_item;

foreach(parsetree_item, parsetree_list)
{
Node *parsetree = (Node *) lfirst(parsetree_item);
UWSD_analyze(parsetree);
}
}

void UWSD_analyze(Node *parsetree)
{
if(nodeTag(parsetree)==T_SelectStmt)
{
my_string_print("THIS IS A SELECT STMT");
}
else my_int_print(nodeTag(parsetree));
}

Then I wrote a C file called my_writer.c, and do the implementation of my_analyze(Node *parsetree) and my_rewrite(List *parsetree_list) functions. I need Node and List structures here, but when I include the necessary header files (#include "nodes/pg_list.h", #include "nodes/nodes.h"), I got errors at compile time like:

---------------------------------------
../../../src/include/nodes/nodes.h:359: error: syntax error before ¡Node¢
../../../src/include/nodes/nodes.h:398: error: syntax error before ¡equal¢
../../../src/include/nodes/nodes.h:398: warning: type defaults to ¡int¢ in declaration of ¡equal¢
../../../src/include/nodes/nodes.h:398: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

I added the object file my_writer.o to the Makefile inside backend/parser/Makefile and configured again, but it did not work, what else should I do?

regards,

dakotali

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote: dakotali kasap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one source and one header file which are called my_writer.h and
> my_writer.c. I included my_writer.h inside postgres.c and do the
> implementation of declared functions inside my_writer.c. When I
> include, some other header files of postgresql (like nodes/pg_list.h
> or nodes/nodes.h) in my_writer.c, it gives me compile errors that are
> related with these header files of postgresql, although there is no
> problem.
>
> Do you know why?

We're not magicians, nor mindreaders. Unless you give us enough
information we can't possibly guess. At the very least you need to show
us what the offending code is and what the compiler error is.

cheers

andrew