Re: renaming "transaction log"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: renaming "transaction log"
Date: 2017-05-11 16:00:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Most documentation and error messages still uses the term "transaction
> log" to refer to the write-ahead log. Here is a patch to rename that,
> which I think should be done, to match the xlog -> wal renaming in APIs.

This will need to be rebased over d10c626de, which made a few of the
same/similar changes but did not try to hit stuff that wasn't adjacent
to what it was changing anyway. I'm +1 for the idea though. I think
we should also try to standardize on the terminology "WAL location"
for LSNs, not variants such as "WAL position" or "log position".