Re: AW: like and optimization

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: like and optimization
Date: 2001-01-22 22:46:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
> Is there any possibility to use, in a portable way, only our own locale
> definition files, without reimplementing all the sorts uppercases etc. ?

AFAIK there is not --- the standard C library APIs do not specify how to
represent this information. Thus, we'd have to provide our own complete
implementation of locale-specific comparisons, etc, etc. Not to mention
acquiring all the raw data for the locale definitions.

I think we'd be nuts to try to develop and maintain our own
implementation of that. What we should probably think about is somehow
piggybacking on someone else's i18n library work, with just enough
tweaking of the source so that it can cope efficiently with N different
locales at runtime, instead of only one.

The situation is not too much different for timezones, BTW. Might make
sense to deal with both of those problems in the same way.

Are there any BSD-license locale and/or timezone libraries that we might
assimilate in this way? We could use an LGPL'd library if there is no
other alternative, but I'd just as soon not open up the license issue.