Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-20 16:53:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> I'll give my vote to Peter's idea that show tables; should better act as
> if you typed \d.

We have previously considered and rejected this type of approach, for
example in the pgsql-bugs discussion I referenced upthread.

> I don't see what the gain is to refuse being nice to MySQL newcomers
> when someone actually does the work.

Nobody has actually done such work, nor offered to. If it did show up
it would be a large and ugly patch that would have a good chance of
being rejected. The proposed patch to just provide a helpful message
is only a dozen or two lines, which is about the right amount of effort
to expend in this direction IMHO.