Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.

From: Sameer Thakur <samthakur74(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.
Date: 2015-07-02 05:21:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,
>Thank you for suggestion. The design with hooks and a separate view was
mainly to keep most of the >code outside core as the feature proposed is
specific to VACUUM command. Also, having a separate view >can give more
flexibility in terms of displaying various progress parameters.
>FWIW ,there was resistance to include columns in pg_stat_activity earlier
in the following thread,
>http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/AANLkTi=TcuMA38oGUKX9p5WVPpY+M3L0XUp7=PLT+LCT@...

Perhaps as suggested in the link, the progress could be made available via a
function call which does progress calculation "on demand". Then we do not
need a separate view, or clutter pg_stat_activity, and also has benefit of
calculating progress just when it's needed.