Re: Any changes to the frontend/backend protocol?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: bbadger(at)openskills(dot)com
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any changes to the frontend/backend protocol?
Date: 2002-01-14 18:13:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Badger <bruce_badger(at)BadgerSE(dot)com> writes:
> Have there been any changes made to the "frontend/backend protocol"
> (messages & all that) for PostgreSQL 7.3?

Sorry, I don't have my crystal ball handy to prognosticate for 7.3 ;-).
There haven't been any changes as of 7.2, though. There have been
additions; do you support MD5 password encryption, for example?

Sooner or later there will probably be major changes, whenever we get
sufficiently disgusted with the problems of COPY and so forth. You'll
just have to keep your head up --- though we generally try to make the
backend backwards-compatible with old clients. (AFAIK the backend still
accepts protocol 1.0 ... though it's untested for a long time, and
likely won't be fixed if it happens to break.)