Re: PostgreSQL server listen on other port than 5432

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dotan Barak <dotanba(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL server listen on other port than 5432
Date: 2009-07-30 16:33:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Dotan Barak <dotanba(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The weird thing is that i used this port in a service that i wrote
> only few seconds before this happened...

Oh? How'd you start that service exactly?

I'm thinking maybe the postmaster inherited the open file from its
parent process. If it's not marked close-on-exec, which evidently
it's not since the child processes have it too, then this could have
happened as far as Postgres itself is concerned. I'm having a bit of
a hard time imagining how an open file could have gotten transmitted
from some other initscript to this one, but it seems more probable
than any other theory at the moment.

Do any other processes besides PG have that socket open? If you stop
and restart the postmaster, does it open the socket again?