Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

From: Michael Widenius <monty(at)monty(dot)pp(dot)sci(dot)fi>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Paul DuBois <paul(at)snake(dot)net>, Patrick Greenwell <patrick(at)stealthgeeks(dot)net>, Scott Perkins <2scott(at)bellsouth(dot)net>, mcgarry(at)tig(dot)com(dot)au, MySQL mailing list <mysql(at)lists(dot)mysql(dot)com>, postgresql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "php3(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net" <php3(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Date: 1999-10-06 10:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

<cut>

The> What I'd love to see is a common set of data to work from, and table
The> structures...then come up with, again, a common set of "results expected",
The> from the database. Then, let the MySQL guys provide their query for the
The> results, and let the PostgreSQL guys come up with theirs, and compare
The> *that*. Don't compare how to get the results the fastest through MySQL,
The> and then how the same query stands up under PostgreSQL...let us give them
The> how to get it fastest from PostgreSQL...

I have posted many messages to Postgresql developers about getting
benchmark that shows where PosgreSQL is good, but I haven't found
anyone that is interested in spending time on this! I have got the
definite feeling that the postgreSQL developers are not interested in
working on benchmarks!

Regards,
Monty