Re: could not read block XXXXX in file "base/YYYYY/ZZZZZZ": read only 160 of 8192 bytes

From: Антон Степаненко <zlobnynigga(at)yandex(dot)ru>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not read block XXXXX in file "base/YYYYY/ZZZZZZ": read only 160 of 8192 bytes
Date: 2011-06-24 16:55:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

18.06.2011, 09:58, "Greg Smith" <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>:
> I suspect you're running into some sort of OpenVZ shared memory handling
> bug.  The way it handles this is one of the more complicated, and
> therefore likely to have odd failure cases, part of the design.  There's
> notes at http://wiki.openvz.org/Postgresql_and_shared_memory about
> container-specific things to tune here, so maybe there's just a setting
> to tweak you've missed so far.  I'm guessing you already went through
> that though.
>
> A quick look around shows there are far more regularly reported bugs
> like this in OpenVZ than there are in PostgreSQL, and Ubuntu is not
> known for bug-free release practices either.  You're probably chasing
> after the wrong thing trying to find a database problem here.  Likely to
> end up in the same situation as the last one of these I remember:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-10/msg00125.php
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2010/03/msg00401.html
>
> ...waiting for the OpenVZ problem that's the real cause to get fixed and
> make its way to your distribution.

Finally I finded out that problem is in OpenVZ, you were right. I've managed to set up one replica on "pure" Linux without OpenVZ. And it works for about a week already with 12Gb shared buffers.
I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with OpenVZ, but one thing that annoys me is that I have not the last stable OpenVZ kernel. I will try to compile the last one(unfortunately it requires new vzctl), and then run some tests on it. And if it won't help - I'll go to OpenVZ community mailing lists and brainfuck them =)
Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it a lot. And sorry again for my bad english.