Re: [HACKERS] postmaster failure with 2-23 snapshot

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian P Millett <bpm(at)ec-group(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster failure with 2-23 snapshot
Date: 1999-02-24 15:33:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brian P Millett <bpm(at)ec-group(dot)com> writes:
> BUT I didn't have
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=16777216
> That was it.

I'll bet the default value of SHMMAX on your kernel is 1MB.
You said 6.4.x worked for you, right?

A stock version of 6.4.x creates a shared memory segment of about
830K if you don't alter the default -B setting. Thanks to some
changes I made recently in the memory space estimation stuff,
the current CVS sources will try to make a shm segment of about
1100K with the default -B and -N settings.

If 1MB is a popular SHMMAX default, it might be a good idea to
trim down the safety margin a little bit so we come out short of
1MB at the default settings ...