Re: PostgreSQL Database Transfer between machines(again)

From: AgentM <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Database Transfer between machines(again)
Date: 2006-10-05 23:27:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 5, 2006, at 19:10 , Brian J. Erickson wrote:

>> And since it's a text file, can't someone fix it with $EDITOR?
>
> I tried to edit the file, but I get the Input/Output error.
>
> The recommendatation was to re-install the OS.
> However, I DO NOT want to lose my database,
> so I am tring to backup the database.

You can boot from any rescue CD, mount the partition, copy the
database directory away and then copy it back once you have
reinstalled. This is safe because it is on the same machine. It is
not safe to copy the database to some arbitrary computer and expect
it to run. Make sure to match the database version. Good luck!

-M