Re: Yet another failure mode in pg_upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Yet another failure mode in pg_upgrade
Date: 2012-09-03 16:16:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am working on an additional enhancement that also pulls the live
> cluster's port number from the postmaster.pid file. I am attaching the
> part of my patch that was modified to add that feature. This allows
> live checks without requiring any port numbers to be specified. Let me
> know if you would like me to email you that merged into your patch, if
> you want it for 9.2.

That seems like a reasonable idea, but how are we going to go about
merging the various proposed patches here? Do you want me to commit
what I've got, and then you can rebase this port change on that?

As far as 9.2 vs HEAD goes, I think we should try to converge 9.2 and
HEAD as closely as possible, just for our own sanity in future
back-patching. Right now I think the only necessary difference is
the int64-XLogRecPtr changes in HEAD.