Re: trailing whitespace in psql table output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trailing whitespace in psql table output
Date: 2010-09-28 17:06:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 03:11:07PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Sure. But everyone using pg_regress will have to update their
>> regression test expected outputs.

> Again, I must be missing something super important. What is it that
> prevents people from doing
> find . -type f |xargs perl -pi.bak -e 's/\s+$//g'

I think the concern isn't about the change being hard to make, it's
about the fallout from having to have different expected-result files
for 9.1 versus previous releases. A lot of third-party modules try
to maintain source code compatibility across all PG releases they
support, and this would break that.

That's not necessarily a sufficient reason for us not to do it ---
but it's definitely not a negligible issue, either.

It should be noted that this won't be zero-cost for the core project
either. For example, any back-patched fix that adjusts regression test
outputs will have to deal with the incompatibility. And if we do put in
some git-level check on whitespace, it'll have to be made to only apply
to master not back branches.