Re: Race condition in InvalidateObsoleteReplicationSlots()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Fujii Masao <fujii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Race condition in InvalidateObsoleteReplicationSlots()
Date: 2021-06-19 19:16:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

=?utf-8?Q?=C3=81lvaro?= Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> It occurred to me that this could be made better by sigstopping both
> walreceiver and walsender, then letting only the latter run; AFAICS this
> makes the test stable. I'll register this on the upcoming commitfest to
> let cfbot run it, and if it looks good there I'll get it pushed to
> master. If there's any problem I'll just remove it before beta2 is
> stamped.

Hmm ... desmoxytes has failed this test once, out of four runs since
it went in:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=desmoxytes&dt=2021-06-19%2003%3A06%3A04

None of the other animals that have reported in so far are unhappy.
Still, maybe that's not a track record we want to have for beta2?

I've just launched a run on gaur, which given its dinosaur status
might be the most likely animal to have an actual portability problem
with this test technique. If you want to wait a few hours to see what
it says, that'd be fine with me.