Re: Index Tuning Features

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Index Tuning Features
Date: 2006-10-10 23:15:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> Anything that can be done to wheedle down your choices
> before you have to run EXPLAIN ANALYZE is a bonus.

Fair enough, but I prefer Peter's suggestion of attaching the
hypothetical index definitions to EXPLAIN itself, rather than making
bogus catalog entries. Something along the line of

EXPLAIN <statement>
ASSUMING INDEX fooi ON foo ....
[ ASSUMING INDEX ... ]

although this exact syntax probably doesn't work unless we're willing
to make ASSUMING a fully reserved word :-(

I have some vague recollection that this idea has been discussed
before...