Re: postgres processes spending most of their time in the kernel

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres processes spending most of their time in the kernel
Date: 2001-12-28 19:29:49
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
>> It sounds like you have a build that's using SysV semaphores in place of
>> test-and-set instructions. That should not happen on x86 hardware,
>> since we have assembly TAS code for x86. Please look at your port
>> header file (src/include/pg_config_os.h symlink) and
>> src/include/storage/s_lock.h to figure out why it's misbuilt.

> Well, it seems that one of __i386__ or __GNUC__ isn't set at compile time.
> I'm using GCC on i386 so I don't see how that is possible.

I don't either.

> It should be
> safe for me to simply define these two things in pg_config.h, I suspect.

That is not a solution. If it's broken for you then it's likely to be
broken for other people. We need to figure out what went wrong and
provide a permanent fix.

What gcc version are you running, exactly, and what symbols does it
predefine? (I seem to recall that there's a way to find that out,
though I'm not recalling how at the moment. Anyone?)