Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date: 2005-05-18 08:54:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane said:
> Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
>> Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>>> What it comes down to is that a mailing list encourages many-eyes-on-
>>> one-bug synergy, whereas Bugzilla is designed to send a bug report to
>>> just one pair of eyes, or at most a small number of eyes. I haven't
>>> used RT but I doubt it's fundamentally different.
>
>> Actually RT is quite different. It's very closely tied to email. You
>> get all the updates in email and can respond to the emails and the
>> results are archived in the ticket.
>
> [ shrug... ] BZ sends me email too --- for the things *it* thinks I
> should know about.
>
> The basic point here is that these systems are designed on the
> assumption that there is a small, easily identified set of people
> who need-to-know about any given problem. We (Postgres) have done well
> by *not* using that assumption, and I'm not eager to adopt a
> tool that forces us to buy into that mindset.

Actually, when BZ sends you mail, it's acting on choices that you have made,
or someone at RedHat has made for you. You have a lot of control over what
it sends. You want all the email? Tell BZ and you should get it. By contrast
with these fine-grained controls, a mailing list offers you one choice:
subscribe or don't.

Apart from the question of who gets notifications, tracking systems provide
some structure and manageability to the data. I find it mildly ironic to see
database people eschew the methods of organisation which their own product
could help to provide.

But all this discussion seems to me pointless anyway - I don't see anybody
with enough experience and respect being able to devote enough time to keep
a tracking system healthy and useful. And without that we might as well just
sit tight.

Meanwhile, how about the earlier suggestions related to improving the TODO
list a bit (e.g. a "beginner's list")?

cheers

andrew