Re: BUG #4812: statistics not available on tables containing only hstore column

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: George Su <george(dot)su(at)efrontier(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4812: statistics not available on tables containing only hstore column
Date: 2009-05-18 15:46:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> ISTM we should not skip the analyze if run as a stand-alone ANALYZE. I'm
> not sure what problem the author of that comment envisioned with
> autovacuum, but resetting the live and dead tuple counters doesn't seem
> right to me.

I think that code probably originated at a time when palloc(0) threw an
error, and was meant to avoid any corner-case failures in the subsequent
logic. I can't get very excited about the case --- it seems to me the
*real* fix for this complaint is to give hstore some ANALYZE support ---
but if you've tested that it behaves sanely with no columns I have no
objection to committing it.