Re: ERROR messages in VACUUM's PARALLEL option

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ERROR messages in VACUUM's PARALLEL option
Date: 2023-04-11 13:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Over in [1], Horiguchisan mentioned a few things about VACUUM's new
> BUFFER_USAGE_LIMIT option.

> 1) buffer_usage_limit in the ERROR messages should be consistently in uppercase.

FWIW, I think this is exactly backward, and so is whatever code you
based this on. Our usual habit is to write GUC names and suchlike
in lower case in error messages. Add double quotes if you feel you
want to set them off from the surrounding text. Here's a typical
example of longstanding style:

regression=# set max_parallel_workers_per_gather to -1;
ERROR: -1 is outside the valid range for parameter "max_parallel_workers_per_gather" (0 .. 1024)