Re: Commit message / hash in commitfest page.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erikjan Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commit message / hash in commitfest page.
Date: 2019-04-13 20:27:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:

>>> Commitfest items always point to discussion threads. These threads often
>>> end with a message that says that the patch is pushed. IMHO, that
>>> message would be the place to include the commithash. It would also be
>>> easily findable via the commitfest application.

> I think it might be useful to actually have that directly in the CF app,
> not just in the thread. There would need to a way to enter multiple
> hashes, because patches often have multiple pieces.

> But maybe that'd be too much unnecessary burden. I don't remember when I
> last needed this information. And I'd probably try searching in git log
> first anyway.

Yeah, I can't see committers bothering to do this. Including the
discussion thread link in the commit message is already pretty
significant hassle, and something not everybody remembers/bothers with.

But ... maybe it could be automated? A bot looking at the commit log
could probably suck out the thread links and try to match them up
to CF entries. Likely you could get about 90% right even without that,
just by matching the committer's name and the time of commit vs time
of CF entry closure.